Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves and stems finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño or serrano peppers, finely chopped (include the seeds if you like it spicier)
- 1/4 cup first cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- orange blossom honey or other citrus honey, as needed
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds of lionfish fillets
Here’s how to make it:
- Steep the ginger and garlic in the combined citrus juices in a nonreactive bowl (stainless steel or plastic) for 10 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the fish, to the bowl. Find a balance in the flavors so that the acidity is not overpowering by adding more honey, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well so that the onions are completely submerged in the juices. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife and long strokes, slice the fish into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Submerge the sliced fish in the ceviche marinade, and refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes until the fish is semi-opaque. Serve immediately with crispy tortillas, freshly fried potatoes or yucca chips.